Whilst rearranging and cleaning was going on, I would end up with a collection of what became my 'Trash or Treasure' which I would offer to my younger sisters, much to their delight.
Garage Sales are a perfect opportunity to have a poke around in the hope of finding some treasure. Last Saturday my husband picked up an extensive rubber collection for just $2. Definite treasure! I had noticed a few of these rubbers in Daiso a few weeks ago and didn't think much of them, but with a collection this large there are lots of ways you could work with them.
|Part of the collection|
- language building skills (talking about what they see i.e. colours, shapes, food groups)
- sorting (fruit, vegetables, sweet, savoury, edible, non-edible)
- arranging in biggest to smallest (size, numbers)
- creating and following a shopping list (reading and writing)
- playing shops (communication, vocabulary, pretend play, grace & courtesy)
- counting (numbers, grouping)
- grouping (vocabulary)
- letterwork, "I spy"
|Sorting by cutlery, fruit, drinks, noodles|
|What would you like, Mum?|
|Here you are!|
As the saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure"!