Friday, 12 September 2014

Loaves, fishes and motherhood, a Friday reflection

Tonight over dinner we read a story from our favourite bible, The Usborne Children's Bible. The children take turns in choosing a story, tonight my son chose the Loaves and Fishes.


What is a 'miracle'? 












As I read the story while juggling the baby and the older two enjoyed their drumsticks, I read how "Jesus was feeling tired and wanted to go to a quiet place to have a little time by himself". I felt at that point as though He was reading my mind. The story goes on "He and his disciples sailed across Lake Galilee to a lonely beach… but some people had seen where Jesus went and news that he was there quickly spread. Soon people started to walk from the towns and villages to see and hear him." As I read this I was thinking "This, this is just like how mothers feel, mother of one, mother of three, mother of more".

We wonder "what would Jesus do?" Well, what Jesus did was this. 

The disciples wanted to send the people away but Jesus felt sorry for them. He walked among them, talking to them, answering their questions and making the ill ones well. More and more people came until there were thousands of them (and I'm thinking I only have three…).

In the evening, a disciple said to Jesus "It's time these people went home. Send them away now so they can find food. There's nothing here for them to eat". (This certainly happens here too!)

Jesus said, "They are hungry, we must feed them first".

*

What the children were learning about was the miracle of the loaves and fishes and how one young boy's generosity with his five small loaves and two fishes fed the thousands. What I was learning was that even though Jesus, was feeling tired wanted to rest, He still continued to shepherd his sheep, He didn't stop to rest at all but rather continued on without anyone knowing how tired He was.

I see the dinner and before their eyes close as the 'home stretch' of the day. It can be and usually is full on. Any leftover energy comes out around this time, so it is usually very loud and noisy, they are tired, they are hungry, there are tears, and after dinner there's the bath or shower, there are stories, hugs, kisses, chit-chats, night-time music, they come out, they go back in, they come out, they go back in, they are hungry, they are fed them, then back to bed, until finally their little bodies are so worn out they give in to fighting their closing eyes and *I breathe out* the day is over, mmmm…. we made it. 

Tonight I had the spiritual inspiration from Jesus with me to get to this point and I experienced the comfort that I wasn't alone.

Dear Jesus, thank you for today and the four blessings that I have; my husband and our three children xx

Usually at bath time or story time  my husband arrives home and swings into the bedtime routine. As today was Friday, he picked up some fish and prepared a dinner for us to enjoy while the children were tucked up in bed fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...