Wednesday, 8 May 2013

The Butcher and ox-tail soup

Out of all the shops we frequent, the butcher is always the one the children are desperate to go to. "Come! Come! Mine - come!" screams my daughter excitedly. 

Why? What is the thrill of the butcher?

It's The Stamp.






















I remember the butcher I went to with mum when I was growing up. That butcher gave us a 'mintie' each - the 'Great Australian Lolly'. My siblings and I would stand around kicking sawdust on the floor and chewing away, while we waited for mum to collect the sausages or mince for dinner. 
I think the butchers are a winner if they provide a little treat while you wait. 

Today at the butcher, I was in luck. The last pack of ox-tail bones had our name on it. Ox-tail has a season and it's hard to come by. 

For dinner, my husband and I enjoyed ox-tail soup following the recipe here. Just right for a chilly night like tonight. 

Rich ox-tail soup
























2x ox-tails jointed
plain flour
2 tbspn oil
2 onions, diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 cups white wine
425g tinned tomatoes, crushed
1 tbspn tomato paste

1. Roll oxtails in plain flour.
2. Heat oil in heavy saucepan and brown the oxtails. 
3. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Mix wine, tomatoes and tomato paste well and add to saucepan.
5. Bring to a boil while stirring, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Top up with a little water if necessary.

to serve: crusty bread, fresh parsley on top
on the side: we had boiled chat potatoes with sour cream

Notes; 
I used our Emile Henry pot which I find the best for slow cooking anything from Bolognese to casseroles. 
I topped up the pot with chicken stock from the freezer, to cover the ingredients. 
I also added a handful of fresh parsley to the pot.

*

Happy daughter, happy mum, happy tums! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...